Sea Colony, Bethany Beach, Delaware – Friday, June 17, 2011 – The top three seeds advanced to the semifinals of the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony singles tournament, while the top two seeded doubles teams will meet in the finals.
No. 1 seed Maria-Fernanda Alves, of Brazil, and No. 3 seed Angelina Gabueva, of Russia, each rallied from first set losses to advance to meet each other in Saturday’s first semifinal match. Alves beat No. 8 Kyle McPhillips (USA), 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-1, while Gabueva downed No. 6 Chanelle Van Nguyen (USA), 5-7, 6-4, 6-1. Second-seeded Lena Litvak (USA) will meet fellow American Denise Starr in tomorrow’s second semifinal match-up.
In doubles action, the top-seeded team Alves and Gabueva earned their spot in the finals by defeating Americans Kelsey Laurente and Nicole Robinson 6-2, 6-0. They will meet the second-seeded tandem of Alexandra Hirsch (USA) and Litvak, who advanced to the finals after beating the fourth-seeded team of Van Nguyen and McPhillips 7-5, 6-2.
Play resumes Saturday at 9 a.m., with the singles semifinals followed by the doubles final.
Friday Main Draw Results
- #3 Angelina Gabueva (RUS) def. #6 Chanelle Van Nguyen (USA) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
- #1 Maria-Fernanda Alves (BRA) def. #8 Kyle McPhillips (USA) 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-1
- #2 Lena Litvak (USA) def. Alexa Guarachi (USA) 6-2, 6-1
- Denise Starr (USA) def. Katrine Isabel Steffensen (USA) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
- #1 Maria-Fernanda Alves (BRA) / Angelina Gabueva (RUS) def. Kelsey Laurente (USA) / Nicole Robinson (USA) 6-2, 6-0
- #2 Alexandra Hirsch (USA) / Lena Litvak (USA) def. #4 Kyle McPhillips (USA) / Chanelle Van Nguyen (USA) 7-5, 6-2
For Friday’s main draw’s results, Saturday’s semifinal singles and doubles final matchups, and up-to-date scoring, as well as the latest tournament information, are available on SeaColonyTennis.net (the official online home of Sea Colony tennis) or pro-classic.seacolonytennis.net (the official tournament Web site).
Follow the tournament (or join the conversation) on Twitter at #ProSC