The second annual ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony got off to an exciting start Sunday, highlighted by Ukrainian Olena Leonchuk, who spent nearly six and a half hours on the court, nabbing two wins in the process.
Leonchuk’s comeback win over American Samantha Asch was a thrilling 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 match lasting nearly four hours. She followed that with a 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win over Venezuelan Dhanielly Quevedo, which went just over 90 minutes, ensuring her a spot in the final 16 of the qualifying draw.
The eight-day tournament, held at the Sea Colony Tennis Center in Bethany Beach, Delaware, began with Sunday’s qualifying draw, featuring 36 pros from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Pro Circuit tour competing in 20 matches. Players in the qualifying draw represented 10 countries on five continents. Mondayís eight qualifying round winners will join 24 others seeking a share of the main draw’s $10,000 in prize money.
Day 1 Qualifying Draw Results:
- Nicole Hoynaski (AUS) def. Elizabeth Adams (USA) 6-0, 6-0
- Trelsie Sadler (USA) def. Dewonder Davis (USA) 6-1, 6-2
- Jillian Rooney (USA) def. Komal Safdar (USA) 6-4, 6-2
- Rachel Horton (USA) def. Elizabeth Vlachakis (USA) 6-1, 6-0
- Ammu Mandalap (USA) def. Michele Ayomide Idera (FRA) 6-0, 6-1
- Mingxiu Du (CHN) def. Kai Broomfield (CAN) 6-2, 6-2
- Natasha Prokhnevska (USA) def. Alexandra Sivcova (SVK) 6-0, ret.
- Rachel May Pierson (USA) def. Sarah Candeloro (USA) 6-3, 6-0
- Vojislava Lukic (SRB) def. Alessondra Parra (USA) 6-1, 6-1
- Mariya Slupska (UKR) def. Gabrielle Moxey (BAH) 6-2, 6-0
- Courtney Colton (USA) def. Stacia Kissell (USA) 6-0, 6-2
- Elizabeth Begley (USA) def. Adelina Maria Damian (CAN) 6-0, 6-0
- Olena Leonchuk (UKR) def. Samantha Asch (USA) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Steffanie Kukas (AUS) def. Kelly Williford (USA) 6-2, 6-2
- Julia Browne (USA) def. Leslie Hansen (USA) 6-2, 6-4
- Jillian Rooney (USA) def. Rachel Smilansky (USA) 6-1, 6-1
- Ariana Rodriguez (USA) def. Ayan Bloomfield (CAN) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
- Joelle Kissell (USA) def. Nicole Hoynaski (AUS) 3-6. 6-3, 7-6 (5)
- Olena Leonchuk (UKR) def. Dhanielly Quevedo (VEN) 6-4 7-6 (5)
Of the 16 qualifiers, 12 Americans advanced. Eight qualifying matches will be held Monday, June 11, starting at 9 a.m.
Follow the action of the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony at SeaColonyTennis.net/pwo or follow on Twitter @seacolonytennis or by using the hashtag #ProSC