Bethany Beach, Del. – First round play wrapped up Tuesday at the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony, setting up the field of 16 in the singles draw as well as the final eight doubles teams in the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Pro Circuit tournament.
Unlike the day before which saw a few major upsets, Tuesday went by with mostly expected results. All seeded singles players won their matches in straight sets, including top seed Jessica Moore of Australia, No. 2 seed Brooke Austin (Indianapolis, Ind.) and No. 4 seed Lena Litvak (Brooklyn, N.Y.) – the tournament’s 2011 champion.
The only upset of the day came in doubles play, where the fourth seeded duo of Charlotte Petrick of Canada and Denise Starr (Staten Island, N.Y.) fell to the American duo of Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Peggy Porter (Dallas, Texas) in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6.
The other doubles team to advance to the quarterfinals was the team of Canadians, Elisabeth Fournier and Petra Januskova, who also won their first round match in straight sets by the score of 6-4, 6-1.
Play will resume 9 a.m. on Thursday at the Sea Colony Tennis Center with second round singles action.
Singles First Round Results
- (1) Jessica Moore (AUS) def. Alexandra Perper (MDA) 6-4, 6-0
- Elizabeth Anita Alexandri Profit (USA) def. Julia Browne (USA) 6-3, 6-1
- Alessondra Parra (USA) def. Amanda Rodgers (USA) 6-3, 6-2
- (6) Elisabeth Fournier (CAN) def. Denise Muresan (USA) 6-0, 6-1
- (2) Brooke Austin (USA) def. Brooke Rischbieth (AUS) 6-2, 6-1
- (4) Lena Litvak (USA) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (USA) 6-3, 6-2
- (2) Booke Austin (USA) def. Brooke Rischbieth (AUS) 6-2, 6-1
- Madison Bourguignon (USA) def. Amy Zhu (USA) 6-2, 6-3
- (5) Jacqueline Cako (USA) def. Tristen Z. Dewar (USA) 6-0, 6-1
- Jacqueline Wu (USA) def. Nicole Robinson (USA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- Kelsey Laurente (USA) def. Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
Doubles First Round Results
- Elisabeth Fournier & Petra Januskova (CAN) def. Julia Browne & Sherry Li (USA) 6-4, 6-1.
- Lindsey Hardenbergh & Peggy Porter (USA) def. (4) Charlotte Petrick (CAN) & Denise Starr (USA) 6-4, 7-6
Follow the action of the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony at SeaColonyTennis.net/pwo or follow on Twitter @seacolonytennis or use the hashtag #ProSC