The “Elite Eight” is set at the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony tournament, after second round singles play culminated Thursday afternoon at the Sea Colony Tennis Center.
Nearly every match in singles play ended in straight sets until the afternoon’s final matchup took the court – a battle between Florida natives, eighth seeded Katerina Stewart (Miami, Fla.) and Kelsey Laurente (Miramar, Fla.).
Ultimately it was Laurente, the lone qualifier left in the ITF Pro Circuit tournament, that moved on by outlasting Stewart in a 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (3) victory. It was the lone upset in singles play and five of the tournament’s top eight seeds remain.
Another upset was to come later in the day in doubles action however, as the third seeded team of Sonja Molnar of Canada and Julia Moriarty of Australia fell to Americans Denise Muresan (Lincolnshire, Ill.) and Jacqueline Wu (Holmdel, N.J.). After losing big the first set, 0-6, Muresan and Wu came back to take the second set 6-2, before winning the tie-break set 10-6 and advancing into the semifinals.
That leaves the No. 2 seed duo of Lena Litvak (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Emily Harman (Petersburg, W.Va.) as the lone seeded pair left in the tournament. Litvak and Harman survived an early scare Thursday, but moved on by defeating Canadians Elisabeth Fournier and Petra Januskova, 4-6, 6-2, 11-9.
Play will resume 9 a.m. on Friday at the Sea Colony Tennis Center with the singles quarterfinals.
Second Round Singles Results
- (4) Lena Litvak (USA) def. Samantha Powers (USA) 6-2, 6-2
- (6) Elisabeth Fournier (CAN) def. Amanda Rodgers (USA) 6-2, 6-2
- Peggy Porter (USA) def. Julia Moriarty (AUS) 6-3, 6-2
- (2) Brooke Austin (USA) def. Jacqueline WU (USA) 6-2, 6-1
- Brianna Morgan (USA) def. Elizabeth Anita Alexandri Profit (USA) 6-2, 6-4
- (5) Jacqueline Cako (USA) def. Madison Bourguignon (USA) 6-1, 6-4
- (1) Jessica Moore (AUS) def. Lindsey Hardenbergh (USA) 6-3, 7-5
- Kelsey Laurente (USA) def. (8) Katerina Stewart 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (3)
Doubles Quarterfinal Results
- Denise Muresan & Jacqueline Wu (USA) def. (3) Sonja Molnar (CAN) & Julia Moriarty (AUS) 0-6, 6-2, 10-6
- (2) Emily Harman & Lena Litvak (USA) def. Elisabeth Fournier & Petra Januskova (CAN) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6
- Lindsey Hardenbergh & Peggy Porter (USA) def. Alessondra Parra & Tina Tehrani (USA) 6-0, 6-3
- Kelsey Laurente & Nicole Robinson (USA) def. Caroline Lampl & Amy Zhu (USA) 6-4, 6-4
Follow the action of the ResortQuest Pro Women’s Open at Sea Colony at SeaColonyTennis.net/pwo or follow on Twitter @seacolonytennis or use the hashtag #ProSC